The development of International Generic Indicators (IGIs) is critical to the social, environmental and economic management of the world’s forests. That’s why we’ve created this website: to guide you through the IGIs’ development as well as the Transfer process that will ultimately lead to the FSC Principles and Criteria Version 5 (P&C V5) being phased in consistently across the world.
To help you get started, here’s a short history of the project so far:
- The Principles and Criteria Version 5 (P&C V5) was approved in February 2012.
- The Forest Stewardship Standards in each country must now be transferred to the P&C V5.
- To phase in use of the P&C V5 in a consistent way across the world, we are developing a set of IGIs.
- As countries revise and transfer their existing indicators, use of the IGIs will ensure that they meet all the requirements set out in P&C V5.
- This will support a faster and more efficient approval process for the National Forest Stewardship Standards.
- It will also bring global consistency – and credibility – to the FSC system.